Ok – so the /p/ book is being finished. This little postie will provide some details as to what happens next.
So, all the entries are in. This is what’s going down. Read this carefully if you have questions. I won’t be too available to respond to individual questions this week.
- Any photographer that submitted an image will have one in the book
- The book will be 8″x10″ Landscape. The smallest images will be pretty small – 9 to a page. There were over 130 photographers and to keep costs down, I am trying to keep this to fewer than 60 pages
- Don’t stress out about confirmation emails – between spam filters, mistyped addresses, etc. I’m sure not everyone got one
Layout Process – Import & Trimming:
- I’m not a designer. Some of you won’t like it.
- I assigned a random number to each entry and downloaded the photos with that number as the filename into Lightroom (a and b for two image submissions)
- All of the data (names, etc.) are in a spreadsheet that is used to copy and paste info into the captions in the book
- I assigned each image with 0-3 stars in LR, each rating level having approx. twice as many images as the previous
- I then made sure each photographer had at least one image in the catalog and trimmed about 60 photos
Layout Process – Categories:
- Since the subject matter in the images is incredibly varied, the book categories are quite loose with some images possibly fitting into more than one. Oh well
- The categories / sections are:
- Urban Places )Including some street that emphasizes environment)
- Landscape & Nature
- People Doing Things (Portraits, street photography that’s more about people and less about environment)
- Structures & Objects of Interest (Architecture and still-life including post-compositional images of junk, etc.
Layout Process – The Images:
- No editing will make everyone happy – particularly those whose images will not have full or half-page spreads. But, someone’s got to make decisions. My submissions will be in the 9-to-a-page size
- I tried to ensure that a range of styles and approaches are highlighted in the book as full or half-page images
- Each image will have the title, location, and chosen name of the maker (anon, name, trip, etc.)
- If there is an online version of the book in the future (like DVD extra features), I’ll add all the other fun gearfaggotry and personal quote stuff in – it was just too erratically submitted to make these things a standard part of the book
What happens next?
The layout will take about another week. When it is done, I am CERTAIN there will be spelling and editing errors. I intend to fix the following types of mistakes:
- Wrong caption on an image
- Misspell photographer name or photo information
- Wrong location
- Photographer submitted in time through the form but does not have a photo in book
I will not fix the following:
- I want to change my name / trip
- I want to change the photo I submitted
- I want to submit a new title
- Change the layout
- Change the size or prominence or section of your photo
How the $&*% are you going to fix this stuff?
Glad you asked. I will post the book on Blurb at some stupid price like $250 for 7 days with a full-book priview. This is the review period. You can send me an email during this time with the correction you request. I will compile and make the appropriate changes and release a “second edition” at the standard, non-marked-up price. If any asshole buys the book at the $250 price, I’ll send a check to the Red Cross or something.
Oh shit! I messed the deadline, here’s my photo. Thank you for the photo, but it will not be in the book.
When will the book be done? I don’t know
Oh shit! I missed the deadline for review: Dickslap.
What are you going to do next BJDrew? I’m going to DisneyLand.