I think I want an M8. Yes. It’s spring. It’s M8ting season [that's really clever, by the way. M8ting season. Wow]
This is not a repeat from 2006. Or 2007. Or 2008.
DxO craps on its noisy, slow, wonky 10MP CCD sensor. Boooo DxO
It’s fidgety, has a lousy battery, a crazy interface with no ISO button. Pansies use ISO buttons.
Even Leica FANBOYS Baaaaaw about it Fanboys cry about EVERYTHING.
Screw that. It’s M8ting season and I want one.
So, in the Leica BOSS way… here’s 16 1/2 bangin’ reasons that it’s okay to get a Leica M8 in 2011:
- Megapixels are total bullshit and I don’t need more than 10 of them. The world’s greatest photographer of all human history only needs 6MP to make zipcode-sized prints. I can get by with 10. So can you.
- A 1.3x crop isn’t that bad. Look, Canon sells $6k 1.3x crop bodies. And I have both 35mm and 50mm lenses – 45mm/65mm is actually a really nice combo.
- Dat’ GLASS. You are a complete weenie if you want to argue that the M system lenses that are available (yes, you too, ZEISS) doesn’t make you want to cry like a kid who got his lollipop taken. You are not a BOSS – you have no soul and should feed bad. Even Kai knows what’s what. When you have a Summicron 35mm, you want to use it all the time.
- I enjoy manually focusing – but can’t see for the life of me – I focus RFs better than SLRs. Forget the CatzEye focus screen, etc. RF = easy to focus. Easy to compose. That’s win.
- I take better photos with rangefinders. Don’t ask why. SLRs are technically superior. Who cares? Better photos are better. [Not implying I take good photos, however]
- No antialiasing filter = suck the sharp detail out of those spiffy lenses. I’ll put Adonis DNA Leitz glass on this awful sensor against the 7D and EF28mm f/2.8 any day (except Good Friday)
- The M form factor doesn’t scare people away – the stealthy bit works out nicely. Be a photo ninja.
- Scanning sucks. Sucks bigtime. Just cannot use film all the time – and the costs of outsourcing my developing and scanning will add up bigtime. I love my M6 – but who can use it every day?
- When you buy a Leica – there’s always some [BOSS] ready to buy it from you for more than it’s worth. Seriously, anything with the red dot on it is a cash equivalent liquid investment. Like legumes.
- It will /p/erhaps /p/iss off the /p/eople in a /p/articular /p/hotography forum
- The crappy low light performance will justify my purchase of the Noctilux 50mm [which will happen repeatedly in my dreams but ultimately never]
- I can’t afford an M9 since the sale of one’s kidneys on eBay is no longer allowed [I checked this out - you really can't]
- 80% of the images will be converted to black and white – so who cares about lousy white balance or even color reproduction?
- Crappy JPG conversion in-camera doesn’t matter for those who shoot RAW (i.e. do not shoot JPG like a man)
- THIS GUY
- I get to stop crying about dumb camera features and specs that don’t matter and take photos the way I like taking photos and can be a BOSS that doesn’t afraid of anything in photography
16.5 I get to do a gear review on something woefully outdated but interesting nonetheless. Zing!
We shall see…